1.13.2009

Why We Do What We Do Here In Bloggy World

I just received a really sweet email from a very dear friend (Hi, L!) who wrote to thank me for my blog. She said some really precious words, and her message made me a little weepy.

But, she got me thinking about my blog and why I even have it.

I started this blog under some peer pressure. Not like hard-core pressure, but a simple I want to be like my friends kind of pressure. I've always liked to write, and blogging looked like fun. I honestly didn't think that I would keep it up, because I have NEVER been able to stick with journaling or writing in diaries. I really thought that this would be a passing fad. I never thought that blogging would "stick."

Stick....it has. This blog has been such an amazing experience for me. That sounds so corny, but it has actually served as major therapy for me. Just to write about my massive Mountain O'Laundry makes me feel a little better when I go to scale it. I also LOVE being able to keep up with my real-life friends and family through their blogs. To peek into their day-to-day lives helps me to know and appreciate them and their families so much more. I've also "met" some amazing people via this blog that I've never even seen in real life. I know about their children, their histories, their hopes, and their passions. Blogging has made this huge world smaller, and I love that!!

Today when I received that email from my friend, I actually was shocked to find out that she read it. I forget that people do. I will run into someone in WalMart who will comment on my blog, and I go away amazed that they even knew I had one, let alone read it. It is very humbling to me to know that my incessant ramblings actually draw readers. I appreciate each and every one of you so much!

This brings me to why I read the blogs that I do....

I've already mentioned that I love being able to share people's lives with them via their blogs. My friend mentioned that just knowing that there are other moms and wives out there that are going through the same day-to-day stuff that she is makes her feel better. Me, too. I love reading that other people forget to have their kids brush their teeth, that they let their laundry pile up, and that sometimes their husbands drive them crazy. I love reading that there are dirty dishes in other people's sinks and that other people yell at their kids sometimes. It makes me feel less alone.

So....why do you blog? Why do you read the blogs that you do? Please leave me a comment and let me know. I would love to hear what your take on all this is.

And thanks for reading....I love your visits! :)

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

I, too, didn't think I would stick with the whole blogging thing.
I find it hard to be too personal about our life on my blog...I'm not sure why. We don't have anything to hide. It's just so hard for me to open up! I guess I'm kind of a private person when it comes to me. I write more about my kiddos because I'm so proud of them and so glad that God has blessed me with them. Anyway, I like reading other peoples' blogs b/c I like learning more about them as well.

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

How sweet, Amber!

Blogging is my outlet and a way for me to document family life. It's a place for me to just be me. I've made some amazing friends through blogging and I also love keeping up with real life friends like YOU this way too.

I'm so glad you started your blog last summer and that you've kept it up! You're on of my favorite bloggers EVER.

Love ya.

Mer

Kristin said...

I have had a blog of some sort for 5 years now. It started as a way to keep in touch with my friends, who are mostly out of state. Then it became a way to document my kids. Then as John and I went through some of the most painful times ever in our marriage it became an outlet for me to vent.

Now, it is a way for me to share all the dumb things I have done and how God brought me through them and what he continues to do for me daily. If reading something we've gone through makes one person feel less alone or keeps them from making the same mistakes then it's worth it.

Nina Diane said...

I started my blog because I was really enjoying reading a few and thought I'll be the cool grandma and have one! I love my blog....I'm not sure that I have many readers but I enjoy looking back at past post. And now I have found out that you can get it printed into a book. Which is something great for my kids and grandkids have as they grow older!