1.21.2009

What a Boring Closet

I was looking in my closet this morning while I was having one of my usual "I have nothing to wear!" mornings, and I decided that I have a pretty boring closet. Most of my clothes are all the same style, and I tend to wear the same things over and over.

I have a couple of favorite pieces that I'm super shocked when I pull them out of the dryer and they are still in one piece. Like this sweater. I think I wear this sweater at least once a week. I know people are thinking, "Here comes the sweater again." But, I love it so much. I'm not even sure if it is even in-style anymore, but who cares. I like it!


I also saw on What Not To Wear (I heart that show) the other day that cable knits are a no-no. Whoops. Look at all of these cables in my closet. I like cable knits, though. I feel all preppy and smart when I wear them....and when I wear a white button-up under them....oh my. I feel like I should put on my argyle socks and sip tea with my pinky in the air.


I have about 15 pairs of jeans in my closet and I wear only 2. Pathetic.

I also realized that I am single-handedly stockpiling the world's supply of crew neck cotton t-shirts. You name the color....I'm pretty sure I got it. Just look at this rainbow....and these were just the first few I found in my closet.



I know I'm in need of a good purging of my closet. But, I'm not sure what I would get rid of. My cables? I like 'em too much. My so-close-to-thread-bare sweater? Nope. It's not going anywhere. My crew necks? Heck no. What if one day I am called upon to be a bowl of ice cream in a play? I would need my orange sherbet colored crew. And how could I ever part with my Barney-purple crew neck? C'mon now. And I guess I could get rid of the 13 pairs of jeans that I haven't worn in a year....but....well....I don't have a good reason not to. It just doesn't feel right to throw them out.

So, I'm just going to keep on being boring. Same ole' sweaters. Same ole' shirts. Same ole' jeans. Works for me.

What about you? What's in your closet?

8 comments:

Stephanie Kay said...

Cute post. I'm afraid there isn't much in my closet. Birthing 5 babies in 5.5 years can really do a number on your clothing options! BUT I have hope of remedying that in the near future. If I can ever get to a store without children tagging along.

Jo said...

I don't see anything wrong with what's in your closet! Looks like you're ready for just about anything. All you have to do is say to yourself, "What color is today going to be?" Zip, zip...you're done. No muss, no fuss...ready to go!

Love,
Aunt Jo

Jennifer said...

Oh, I share in your pain except my closet is teeny tiny so I don't have a lot of room to put my clothes in. So frustrating!
Just so you know, I think you happen to dress cute!

Nina Diane said...

I don't see anything wrong with your clothes...at least they are colorful! My closet is basically white and black.....I'm pretty boring that way

Mich said...

Ok, to anybody reading this...Amber is not a "boring" dresser! She ALWAYS looks cute! So don't go feeling sorry for her! :)

Amb, as the shoe queen, i'm surprised you didn't say you needed new shoes too! :)
Love ya!

Alison said...

A mess is in mine...that's for sure. I've got piles of shoes that I haven't worn in years but won't throw out, jeans that are stacked in my "hope to wear again one day" pile, lots and lots of maternity clothes, most of which don't fit or are summery clothes, and the few clothes that are part of my non pregnancy wardrobe that I didn't throw out this last summer b/c they were 8 years old.

Liz Harrell said...

I read Tim Gunn's book on fashion and was SO inspired I threw away half my closet. It was the best thing I've ever done. I would SO much rather have five outfits I love than 15 I dont care about.

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

My closet is almost exactly like yours. Lots of long sleeved solid tees, and solid sweaters. I have two pair of jeans that I like wearing...I can find something weird about every other pair.

I want new clothes now. Wanna go shopping?