1.04.2009

Say It Ain't So

Just one more day.

That's what I've prayed for.

Just one more day of Christmas break. One more day with the kids. One more day with the husband home. One more day before I have to wear a pair of khakis again. Just one more day.

It's not looking good.

So, tonight I will set my alarm for 5:30 a.m. for the first time in 16 days. I will probably sleep fitfully so dreading the return of routine. In the morning, I will drag myself to the shower, wishing that it wasn't true. I'll stand in front of my closet looking for something teacher-y, so wishing that it was a pair of sweats and a tee-shirt which I've grown so accustomed to wearing these past few weeks. I'll drag the kids out of bed, feed them a pop-tart, and probably holler at them about finding tennis shoes or a backpack....and then....

We'll be in the car.

On our way.

And it will be over. Christmas vacation will be over.

It really is enough to make me want to cry. It isn't the going back to work part that really gets me. It is the end of our lazy days. Kirk's been off work for these two weeks with us, and we are used to doing what we want when we want to do it.

I learned how to play chess in these past 2 weeks. I've stayed up late watching girl movies because I knew I could sleep late the next day. We've spent days in our jammies. I've rearranged my furniture. And I've cooked dinners in my crockpot....because I've been home all day to smell it!

I'm making it sound like our lives are over. But, I really am in mourning. I'm just not ready for hours of homework and late nights of laundry. I'm not ready for early mornings and being too tired to cook a really good meal. Just not ready.

So, I'm going to go now. Going to go put on my jammies and snuggle on the couch with my kids and watch a movie. May play Keaton in a game of chess. We're going to eat the leftovers tonight from yesterday's crockpot meal and enjoy eachother for a few more short hours....

Before routine hits us.....just like I'll be hitting my alarm clock....at 5:30 in the morning.

4 comments:

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

I feel your pain. Same, yet different. I hope your morning goes smoothly.

I'll pray for you.

Unknown said...

I girl!! HAHA I feel exactly the same way!! ughh

Mich said...

I haven't had the big vacation like you have had, but Mondays are always yucky!

Jo said...

I know what you mean....I never liked going back to work after a vacation OR a weekend! I have always liked being at home, with or without someone there to share it with.

Of course, now that I'm without another person in the house, I'm really not alone...I have my 2 sweet little, 5 month old puppies here to keep me company. Molly and McGee keep me hopping and I wouldn't have it any other way!

Have a great week!
Aunt Jo