1.22.2009

Dread

Confrontation.

Shudder.

Confrontation with people I really care about.

Double Shudder.

Confrontation, of all shapes and sizes, makes me want to throw up. I get totally stressed out, and I just feel like hiding in my jammies...far, far away from the entire situation. It is so much easier for me to just bow out than confront. It really is that hard for me.

I know that confrontation is just a part of relationships, and I know that I could be way more mature about it (like sucking it up and dealing with it), but it still makes me positively nauseous to even consider. Why, oh why, can't I just be brave and big and oblivious?

Tomorrow I have to confront a group of people that most everyone who knew the situation would laugh at the thought of me even being nervous about talking to. And, in the rational part of my brain, I get that. I get that it is ridiculous. But, that doesn't help the ginormous emotional chunk of my brain that tends to take over most days.

I'm dreading it. I'm wired to be a people-pleaser (yes, I get that it is unhealthy) and people-pleasing is really what I'm good at. I hate making decisions (indecisiveness is in my genes!) because I'd rather the other person be happy, even if that requires me to be miserable.

So, tomorrow I'm going to be a big girl and do what needs to be done.

But, you can bet that I will keep my best friends, Pepto and Bismol, right by my side.

7 comments:

Jo said...

Now you got us all curious!

Hope everything works out well for you tomorrow and that your friends (Pepto and Bismol) won't be needed, after all.

Be strong...
Love you.
Aunt Jo

lisa@littlesliceoflife said...

You are the kindest person I know. I'm sure you'll say whatever needs to be said in the best way possible. Just don't sugar-coat it so much you don't get your point across 'cuz then you'll just have to do it again!

I know you'll do fine!

Jennifer said...

Oh my gosh! I feel the same way! I know how you feel. You can do it though. You are a very nice and smart person!

Kristin said...

Good luck with whatever you have on your plate. I'll be thinking about you.

Unknown said...

good luck! I do not like those situations..

Mich said...

I'm going to take a guess and say it is a group of clueless, but stubborn teenagers! That would be what would make me shake in my boots...or rather everything makes me shake in my boots! Sorry, sis, but I wasn't a very good role model in this area!
Well, whoever it is...GOOD LUCK! I'll be thinking about you...

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

I had a similar situation on Friday...it didn't go so great either. That was the basis of my FB status...that whole feeling misunderstood thing.

Ugh. Yuck. Blech.

Hope yours went better than mine did, friend.