12.15.2008

Need Some Bloggy Help....Or At Least Some Sympathy!

I need your help......

....my house is now a wreck...again. I don't know what it is about this family, but we can go from pristine to pig sty in just a matter of hours. Somehow what was a clean living room is now littered with Old Maid cards, legos, the remnants of my Christmas card addressing fiesta, a basket full of folded towels, and three pairs of dirty socks. My kitchen was sparkly...but now the cabinets are sporting a couple of empty coke cans, a trail of Pringle crumbs, and the pizza pans from last night's dinner (because I was too tired to wash dishes last night before bed). Somehow the laundry has multiplied and the boys' bathroom looks as if it could pass for the next hazardous waste testing site. I so badly need to clean house...again....

....and.....now.....


My kids are fighting.....and making a mess. When I'm feeling all up in a have-way-too-much-to-do funk, I really just want my kids to "do the right thing" (my parenting catch phrase). Turns out, though, that Sawyer and Tate are feeling the need to argue over the last few crumbs in a box of goldfish crackers all while leaving a trail of their crisis all over my carpet. Keaton is "making a zoo" which involves pulling out EVERY animal toy we own and scattering them throughout the house in their respectful cages. I've already put out one fire tonight that was over a Jr. Monopoly game (which incidentally is still laying out), and another go-round which consisted of Keaton wanting to put on a magic show and Sawyer then telling him that he was a "dum-dum head." So not feeling the love tonight....


So....here's my question.....I know that a bunch of you are stay-at-home moms and have somewhat the luxury of tidying up the house while your kids are off at school....but, I do know that we all have days like this. It is crazy for me to think that your houses stay in tip-top shape no matter what, and that your families sit by your Christmas trees and play family games by firelight every evening.....I know better.....but, I know that there has got to be a better way.


I try to get the kids involved, and they are responsible for cleaning up their things and putting away their toys.....but, it seems that if I let up for even 10 minutes....the house is on a downhill spiral.....I've made job charts and chore lists. We've done rewards and allowances. And, I still can't seem to get a handle on it.


Any suggestions to keeping everything up? I seriously need some suggestions....I'm all about being okay with a house being "lived-in," but this is getting a little ridiculous!

8 comments:

Stephanie @ My Answered Prayer said...

Can't help you there...I do have a full box of goldfish though if you need one.

Jim said...

Amb,
Mom says you have our sympathy, but with three boys their ages and dispositions, it's to be expected. Sorry, that doesn't give you any real hope, does it? I guess you could require only one toy or game at a time outside their rooms, and require them to put one up before another comes out. I seem to remember you girls were not as much of a handfull. Thanks.
Love you,
Dad

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Girl...I am in the worst mood right now because of the state of my house. It was clean all weekend but somehow exploded today and is making me crazy!

The one thing that helps me the most is have my kids put stuff away when they walk in from school--shoes, backpacks, lunchboxes, coats, etc. Otherwise they end up on the kitchen floor/table.

Remember my next door neighbor, Joan? Her sister, Kim used to have an "hour of power" in the evenings and everyone had to spend an hour cleaning. I do that sometimes (it's more like 20 minutes given my children's attention span) but it helps.

I'm sorry...it's bad at my house this week too. Hang in there.

I think it's worse at Christmas because we have all kinds of extra stuff everywhere!

lisa@littlesliceoflife said...

I agree that it seems reasonable to expect your kids to put away their backpacks, coats, shoes, etc. when they come home. However, can anyone tell me how to ACTUALLY get them to do that?! I find myself repeating multiple times and still no action.

I like the "power of an hour" idea. Although my kids tend to piddle around if there's a time limit.

If you find out any neat tricks, let me know. I'm desperate. I need to be in control!

You have my complete and total sympathy!

Kara said...

LOL! I am totally laughing at your post! That is a life of a mom with all boys! Please know that you are not the only one that has this daily battle! If I could only get the boys to clean out the sink after they brush their teeth and not get water all over the mirror. I homeschool all 3 boys so they are with me 24/7 (my husband is a pilot for Southwest Airlines and gone 3-4 days each week). My rule is that they have to clean their rooms and brush their teeth before they can watch cartoons in the morning (some mornings they listen, some mornings I have to tell them 10 times to clean). I try to keep my kitchen and family room clean, but the rest of the house can be falling apart. What are your boys ages? Thanks so much for visiting my blog! I love hearing and seeing other blogs of mom's of all boys!
Merry Christmas,
In Christ-Kara Shriver
John 3:30

Julie said...

Hey Amber! I found your blog from Danielle's portfolio list. I thought the header looked cute, so I wanted to see the entire blog look.

I have 2 boys (21 months & 4 months). I think my house has been cleaned only once or twice since my littlest was born. So when you find out the answer will you let me know?! :)

I've got a lot to learn!!

It's a wonderful life said...

I so have the same problem but with 1 I could not imagine what it is like with 3. I have started taking toys etc. away when they are not put up, it really gets her attention.
I am also big on grounding from the tv. We have been fighting disobedience alot lately. I am praying for you I know it is frustrating. My house looks fairly clean but you should see my desk etc. drawers they are a mess!!

buscher3 said...

Check out www.flylady.com. Crazy website, but great tips! Even a 30 day "program" for getting a clean house.