11.18.2008

Shout Out To All the Other Messy Mamas Out There

If you get squeamish about unkempt houses....read no further.

This post is dedicated to the messiness of my house. The thought behind this psychotic airing of dirty laundry *wink* is that somehow it will inspire me to do something about it.....we'll see if that works out for me.

Let me start by saying that the house isn't nasty, filthy, disgusting, or gross. It is just....let's see....in disarray. The only thing that is really gross is my kitchen floor. I'd advise wearing shoes if you come over in the next few days. There has been a mass tromping-through of muddy hunting boots, soggy tennis shoes, and concretey work boots. All this shoe dirt is mixed with crumbs that find their way to the floor (because my children REFUSE to eat over their plates), little tiny pieces of paper leftover from a snowflake cutting session (because Tate missed a few dozen when he was on sweep-patrol), and a few sticky spots of dried kool-aide and milk (because my kids think that they're big, but they are really not....especially when "big" involves a completely full pitcher). The broom has found its way over the floor a few times this week, but somehow the dirt and sticky spots continue to multiply -- leaving me with nothing but a gross floor. Remember....wear shoes.....it's for your own health!

Now that the grossness has been addressed, let me move on to the clutter. I HATE CLUTTER...but, I am overrun with it right now. There is a pile of papers that have been unloaded from school folders on the edge of the table. Really need to sort through those. There is a stack of magazines and newsletters that need to be sorted....let alone read.....all piled on my bar. Next to the magazines are a pile of tools that are left from a little fix-it project of Kirk's....he really needs to take those to his shop. On the gross floor are two suitcases that have yet to be unpacked from our trip this past weekend....not planning on moving those, since I just have to repack them in 2 days. I've got basketball forms, doctors' bills, and school reminders about the food drive all littering my cabinet.

My Nola Mae stuff is piled in a corner.....got to find a place for all of that. Hmmmmm....wonder if Kirk will build me a cabinet?!?! A girl can dream! The boys' baseball bags are piled in another corner fresh in from a trip out to the batting cage. There are a couple zillion coats and jackets that didn't quite make it to the hooks dotting the floor by the door. Huh....wonder what is so hard about hanging a coat on a hook?

My laundry room is overflowing with camo, our clothes from our trip, towels, and sheets. Being sick the 2 days before we left to go out-of-town did nothing for my "staying-on-top-of-the-laundry" routine. I think I could do a load of laundry every hour for the next 13 days and still not be caught up! Seriously....

The boys' rooms look like a tornado hit them. I think most of that is due to the earlier incidents of Tate not being able to find his "boochs" ("boots") and the rousing game of closet door basketball that went on earlier this evening.

So....what am I going to do about it?

NOTHING!

I'm just waiting 'till the weekend!! The fellas will be out-and-about huntin' and such, and I am planning on cleaning in peace. I've got the big Thanksgiving hoopla coming up, so I'm going to be doing the whole scrubbin' baseboards/defuzzing ceiling fans kind of cleaning anyway....might as well save all of it for then and just have an all-out love affair with Mr. Clean weekend.

I was going to give you proof of the City-O-Clutter, but decided to spare you from the pics. Not sure the gross chocolate milk spot is really what you are wanting to take a gander at.....

Now....all you perfect Keep-My-House-Lookin'-Like-A-Magazine mamas, go ahead and shudder, click over to a different blog, and don't give my sticky floor and Mt. Everest size pile of dirty jeans and smelly socks a second thought. All you mamas just like me......hope this makes you feel better about your own little messes.....we're all in this together!! *smile*

5 comments:

Amy Fulmer said...

Hooray for you and your laundry! I feel so validated!

My dilema is always this...I wash, I dry, I fold, but in the end we are wearning more dirty clothes. So it never actually gets done. And if I put it ALL away tonight, then what will I do with the two loads that I will do tomorrow night? Leave them lonely on my bedroom floor? I THINK NOT! :D

BTW...the clutter comes with the kids...not gonna go 'til they do (at least that's what I tell myself.)

lisa@littlesliceoflife said...

It's nice to know I'm not alone!

buscher3 said...

Ok, my husband's an awesome helper when I need something done or even just to do something helpful for me...but I wonder if men really know what we do to keep the house clean from day to day? It seems that most women think of "clean" totally differently than men do. Darin's ok with a mess...I am OCD about at least having a straight house before I go to bed. I'm afraid to find out, but I've always wanted to know what the house would look like w/o us even touching it after a few days. I mean nothing. Hmmm.....

Stephanie @ My Answered Prayer said...

My house is straight at least the rooms that others see...now the kids rooms...you know how that is. Bunco was here last night so that's the only reason why. Let's see if we can keep it this way until Sunday night...doubt it!

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Well, you know what? I like things neat and tidy, but I fall off the wagon frequently. I ended up being at home today with a sick child, so I'm tackling the girls' bedroom. That is probably the messiest room in the entire house. And my kitchen floor desperately needs to be mopped. The key for me (and probably for you too) is that you actually need to be HOME to get those things done. I try to cram way too much into my days.