5.27.2010

Tate On Baseball.....





Hey, Tate, what's your favorite thing to do?

Play baseball. 

How do you play baseball?

To bat or glove?

We'll say bat.  How do you bat?

Well, when you swing, you gotta step, um, into it, like your foot, over 4 inches of homeplate, because you are 8 of homeplate. And when you swing, you got to step into it.  And when your hands are right here, you just stay there and you can hit it if you step into it.

Wow.  That sounds intense.  What about using your glove?

If you really want to catch it good, you put your hand on the back of your glove so you can really squeeze it. To throw it, um, if you catch it when they, um, hit a line drive, then put your hand there and you can squeeze it.  To catch a grounder, then do the same thing just put your glove on the ground.  Even you can do that, Mom.

Sounds like you know a lot about baseball.

Yep, I do.  Well, there's still some more if you want to know some more.

Well, tell me...

If you're catcher, you stand on your feet like this and stand 12 feet away from the bag.  And you put your glove right by your face and your other hand back away.  And you catch it if the batter strikes out.  Then you need to throw it back to pitcher.

Wow. 12 feet?

Well, maybe 13.
I don't really know a lot about shortstop, so I can't teach you that.  But, I, um, I think you just squish your knees down to catch it.

Can you tell me why batters use batting gloves?

You don't really need 'em. You only need them for a wooden bat so you won't get splinters.  I just wear 'em to look cool.

You are pretty cool, Tate.  So who's your favorite team?

I have two.  The Yankees and the Cardinals.

Tate, do you love baseball? 

Oh, yes.

So who is going to win your game tonight?

Us, of course. 

What do you think the score will be?

18 to 2.

I hope you play well tonight.

Oh, don't worry.  I will.

Humble much? 

10 comments:

Tiffani said...

Wow, Tater!! You are so smarty about baseball!! You need to come give Auntie Tiff some lessons!!!

His explanations were hilarious...and the best part I know that precious voice and I can hear him say every word!!

Unknown said...

Precious. My husband and son (19 1/2 today!) and I were on our way back from eating out tonight and we swung by the baseball fields for some reason. We saw all the kids and parents there and heard the bats hitting the balls, and it all brought back such sweet memories. Seems like yesterday, but my son hasn't played in five years now.

Enjoy it, sweet mama. Those are some good days and you have some precious boys. Love the pic of him in his "ready position." Too cute.

Gretchen said...

What a doll! Er...I mean...what a cool athlete! He rocks the ball, no matter what side he's playing--bat or glove.

Alison said...

That is one SERIOUS ball playin' boy. Look at that face in the last picture...serious I tell ya!

Jennifer said...

That is possibly, um, one of the cutest kids I know!!

So glad to know he thinks that even YOU could catch a grounder!!

Glad the score was, um, tied tonight...
and not, um, 18-2!! ;)

The Bowden's said...

So cute! :)

theelizabethhighsmith said...

oh honey you need to buy that baby some peanuts and cracker jacks and take that cute tate of a fellow out to the ball game. he's a keeper, though you're gonna get a bunch of offers from little girls hearts to take him off your hands. hello cuteness!

come see georgia again soon, she misses you!

Marla Taviano said...

Even you, Mom. Even you. Love it!!

Bridget said...

Cute interview with Tate!!! :D

Gretchen said...

He is precious, cool, and self-assured. Yep, I'll take him as a son-in-law. Let's talk.