7.28.2010

The Little Things I've Learned This Week....

It's only Wednesday, and this week has already been a Wide World of Well-Learnedness.  And I'm not talking big huge life-lessons here.  I'm talking the little things.  The miniature.  The petite.  The scanty pocket-sized unpretentious tidbits that make our worlds go 'round. 

**** I've learned that the folks who make those yummy freezer pops which are a summer staple have been marketing their product all wrong.  I'm currently composing a letter to the various manufacturers informing them of their need to include little boys (ranging in age from 10 to 6 primarily) sucking down the frozen pouches of splendor in mass just to make a latter trip to the restroom more entertaining for themselves and their male siblings.  I've lost count of the times I've been hollered at from the bowels (pun totally intended...ahem...I'll be here all week, folks!) of the bathroom this week.  "Hey, Mom, those popsicles turn my poop weird colors!  Come see!  It's awesome!"  So, take that, Mr. Popsicle Marketing Man.  Take that.

**** I've learned that a KingSize Cookies and Cream Hershey bar and a Diet Pepsi make a delightful lunch.  I won't go into details about how I learned this fact, so you'll just have to take my word for it.

**** I've learned that even though George Clooney is pretty to look at, you are totally unable to get the two hours back of the time that you spend on watching one of his early movies.  The husband landed the television plane on a gem of theatrical mastery last night.  Something about vampires in a strip club in Mexico.  It was as pathetic as that description.  And it made me have weird dreams.  Which constitutes felony in my book...because I don't need help with my dream-life.  It's weird enough without any additional help.

**** Speaking of dreams, I've learned that somewhere along the way I must have sub-consciously wanted to be a gymnast.  Because during my nap this afternoon, I dreamt that I was a professional gymnast.  Complete with slicked back hair pulled up in a scrunchy and clippies that matched my spangly leotard.  I don't really remember anything about the skills...but I know I looked awesome!  Probably a good thing I didn't have daughters.  I'd be trying to vicariously live my leotard dreams through her.  Bless her heart.

**** I've learned that I'm beginning to get into the groove of getting ready for school to start.  Understand that I'm not ready for school.  I'm just ready to start thinking about school.  There's a total difference, but still progress where I come from.

**** I've learned that a box of cereal will be devoured in less than a day in my house.  The offspring have taken to eating it not only for breakfast, but as a morning snack.  And as a lunch dessert.  And as an afternoon snack.  And as a before dinner snack.  And as a before bed snack.  So I did the math....if I spend $2.50 on a box of cereal (generic, thankie very much), then that comes up to $17.50 a week.  Which is $70 a month.  And $910 a year.  On cereal.  Did you hear me?  On cereal.  And I didn't even figure in the milk.... We need to buy a cow.

**** I've learned that I need to go back to the gym.  Because my clothes aren't fitting right and stuff is starting to jiggle again.  But I don't like to sweat.  Here lies my dilemma....

**** I've learned that good friends are just that....good friends.  And that I wouldn't trade 'em.  Not for all the predictable relationships in the world.

What have you learned this week?

10 comments:

He & Me + 3 said...

I learned that your dog getting sprayed by a skunk is so smelly and hard to get rid of. GRrrrr.
Wow the cereal totals are crazy. My kids love cereal too. I don't buy generic, but I pay about that much for a box...I am super cheap

He & Me + 3 said...

I use lots of coupons and wait for the sales :) I hit publish before I was done commenting. Oops
Wish you lived closer I would work out with you. My pants are shrinking I think. LOL

Jim said...

Amb,
What have "I" learned? Well, #1 - I learned that it takes 535 steps to make one round at the local mall "walking" track. I made four and a half rounds today. #2 - I've learned that when you fast walk in an air conditioned mall - you still sweat buckets. #3 - I've learned that in spite of sweatin' and walkin' almost a mile, that my body still has the energy to trick me into thinking I would shed some pounds - I say trick - for I really didn't - at least, not like I'd like! I'm done now! That's #4.

Jim-Dad

Sami said...

Last night I dreamed that I bought a gigantic package of toilet paper. But not because I keep forgetting to buy it and there are only a few squares left...

Carpool Queen said...

I've learned that ammonia inhalant is deceptively packaged as wet wipes.

I've learned that putting your iPod on shuffle makes for an interesting time at the dentist office.

I've learned that I still need my mother's encouragement.

I've learned that it's possible to get by without a nightly Butterfinger.

Lindsay said...

I was at Mt View during the week and did the easy version at Blanchard Caverns which was a killer. Need to get back to regualr exercise too. Planning a return trip in the fall and want to give it another shot.

N said...

So far this week I've learned:

- With age comes patience
- With patience comes calmness

During one of the most chaotic & uprooted times of my life I am calm and that is truly amazing ...

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

I've learned that a night out with good friends who make you laugh your head off is priceless.

And that a $30 blow up pool is money well spent. And that I should reapply sunscreen about every 20 minutes. Especially on my fair-skinned, auburn haired girl.

:-)

Tiffani said...

hmmm..you *did* buy a cow! ;)

I wonder what the chinese learned this week...ok...for real..

I've learned that you really can go without things and spending just because you're out..

I've learned that things will be ok..no.matter.what.

Andrea said...

I have dreams sometimes that I get from place to place doing front handsprings. And then in my waking life every time I look down the long corridor at school I wish I could really do front handsprings. I have never been even close to learning how to do one and at this point in my life I never will. I just think it would be amazing to be able to do a front handspring!