8.21.2009

Sick Days and Fish-Shootin'

I'm going to have a talk with my principal.

As soon as he gets home from shooting fish with his man posse.

Shooting fish, you ask? Why, yes. Shooting fish. It is this strange man sport that is a mix of fishing/bow-hunting/spotlighting, but happens to be perfectly legal. I don't understand it, but I smile and pretend like I do. It keeps the manfolk happy, and it gives me freedom to watch Project Runway marathons. So it works for us.

But, I am going to have to discuss a serious issue over with the administration.

Because now that I'm employed by my house....

We need to discuss Sick Days.

I woke up this morning feeling just plain nasty. Like paying homage to the porcelain gods nasty.

But, yet, I have the education of the three namesakes of this family line to consider. No driving them to school, dropping them off in the car-rider line, and then heading back home to spend the day in mismatched jammies, sipping on Sprite, and only getting up to rewet the washcloth for my makeup-less forehead. No, sirree.

And because the husband and I haven't discussed our sick-day plan of action, and because it was only Day 3 of this crazy little homeschooling undertaking....I felt extremely guilty for punching the breaks and already calling for a 3 day weekend.

The thought crossed my mind to just pretend today was Saturday and do school tomorrow...on actual Saturday. But that just seemed sacrilegious to all things weekend holy.

So. I got up.

Admiring my dedication, aren't you?

Yah. Don't get excited. Because we only did the essentials.

Like Math.....and I hollered through that.

And English....and I cried through that.

And Handwriting....and I had to walk away and count to 10 during that.

And then there was Phonics with the little person....and. well. that's when I announced early dismissal for the day.

And I went to bed.

And stayed there.

And the children thought it was the coolest thing ever. And are now praying mom is sick every day.

Thanks a lot, kids.


(Note to my family.....I'm fine. I'd call you if it was really bad. So don't worry, Jim-Dad.)

15 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Maybe you should do like the school districts do and factor in a certain number of "professional development" days or personal days. And you should definitely be guaranteed a certain number of vacation days, say 3 weeks or so. Right?!

Tiffani said...

I HATE that you got sick on Week 1. But, I think you handled it like a pro!!

I cannot believe in our eleventy hundred conversations we've not discussed the awesomeness that is Project Runway....I adore you.

Have fun in the morning w/ the DJ's. ;)

Cathy said...

Did you just mention Sprite and the re-wetting of the washcloth...cause I totally tweeted you this morning that if I lived closer I would be over with 7-Up and a cold washcloth for your forehead!

So sorry you've got the yucks, my friend. On further thought, I MIGHT have brought a PDDP...

Jennifer said...

You poor baby. I love your devotion to your blog. I am your devoted fan forever.

Jim said...

Amb,
What? No substitute teacher? Wish I was close enough. I'd sub-in fer ya in a heartbeat. I started to say, have them have a study hall class with Kea as the study hall monitor, but I have a feeling the other two aren't ready to be "under his rule" yet!

Well, you've got a weekend to get over the punies. Hope next week's better. Con't wait to read your "blow by blow" show 'n go, as you make your teachin' glow!

Love you, - get better!
Jim-Dad

The Bowden's said...

Oh no! Hope you are feeling better!

Jim said...

Amb,
Wow! You must be feely better cuz' you've "got a new hat" on your blog. Looks great! Even got the 2 older rascals in it, too! Love the colors. I do hope it means you're a health color today.

Love you,
Jim-Dad

Unknown said...

Your blog looks beautiful! Jackie did an amazing job as usual!

About sick days, take em and don't feel bad. If you had been teaching at school, would you have gone in? I'm finding that it is easier to make up work than it is to push through difficult days! That's the beauty of homeschool! Glad you're feeling better!

Mich said...

Cute blog makeover!!!

Hope you are feeling better real soon...I was thinking maybe you should have cancelled school and had a makeup day today and let the administrative fishing dude handle the subbing...just thinking. :)

Love ya!!!

lisa@littlesliceoflife said...

I wondered if your principal had a sick day policy. He seems like a reasonable guy so I think you should definitely call in sick next time.

Love the new bloggy makeover! I gotta get me one. (Love my grammar? I should totally homeschool too.)

Carpool Queen said...

I'm with Dad. If I lived closer you could have called me to be your sub. I have experience teaching homeschoolers now. We would have sat around and ate cookies.

christy rose said...

I think early dismissal was a good idea! I hope you feel better soon!

Gretchen said...

Hope you're feeling better today, Teacher Amber. And yes, your bloggy looks fabu!

really.truly said...

I hope you are feeling better. Seriously, I often take sick days....no guilt allowed ;)

Anonymous said...

My husband is a fish shooter. Actually, here in Wisconsin they call it Carp Shooting... because that's all they can legally shoot. It's a strange bow-fishing sport, yes? :)