3.24.2011

Schtuff

1.  It's Spring Break for most of the world this week, except for us.  Well, kinda.  My fancy planning calendar that I spent way too much time making out at the beginning of the year says that we are working through this week, because our Spring Break will come 'round Easter.  The fact that we've only had a full school day once this week seems to be speaking to the fact that it is, in fact, Spring Break for us, too.  For the record, though, it is super hard to keep myself the kids motivated when everyone and their 2nd cousin asks how our Spring Break is going and the response that I have to continually hear is, "We don't have Spring Break.  Our mom makes us work."  Nice.

2.  My red-headed pool of sunshine turned NINE this week.  Crazily impossible.  I have found myself saying those way overused words, "It happens so fast," way too often this week.  Really?  Nine?  Say it ain't so, Joe.

3.  While still under total delusion of only have one baby, I made a decision and a pact that I would ALWAYS make my kids' birthday cakes.  No expectations.  Totally kicking myself for my attitude of resolve on the matter now.  For his big 9th birthday, Sawyer requested an interesting creation.  His criteria: (a) had to be orange  (b) had to be baseball   (c) had to have the pirate skull & crossbones  (d)  Had to be chocolate.   Mmmkay... 


This is what I came up with.
Notice that nowhere on his list is Tyrannosaurus Rex.
Hmmm....Oh well.
Somehow I managed to convince him that pirates think dinosaurs are way cool......

4.  We are up to our ears in baseball.  I'm not going to complain, because this is definitely my favorite time of year, but I will say that we are just plain B.U.S.Y.  Between all 3 boys, we have 4 different baseball teams.  Two regular league teams, and two traveling tournament teams.  Needless to say, we are at a ballfield 7 days a week.  And if we just so happen to squeeze in a day without a practice or a game, that day is spent hashing over plays at the dinner table, hitting in the batting cage, or washing a uniform of somekind.  Definitely tiring, but good times.

5.  I declared today a NO ELECTRONICS day, and, can I just tell you, that I am loving it.  Instead of fighting over whose turn it is for this DS game or for that iPod charger, the boys have dragged out every lego and action figure that we own.  They've constructed a huge city in the living room and are playing some intense game of super heroes meets combat war zone meets Star Wars.  I LOVE IT.  Maybe their DSs and iPods should mysteriously disappear for awhile.....

6.  I made a uber-long list of projects that really need to be completed around the house.  Closets that need to be cleaned out, moldings that need to be painted, drawers and cabinets that need to be purged and organized.  I probably should tackle that list on my now impromptu Spring Break, but I really just don't want to.  Instead I think I'll just go read a book in the sun.  Sounds equally urgent.

7.  I went to the dentist yesterday.  'Nuff said.

8.  My Lenten fast is going really really well.  I've made it 16 days now and feel better than I have in ages.  I even resisted a piece of the orange chocolate T-Rex pirate baseball cake this weekend.  Although I will tell you that right now there is a jar of ranch dip and a package of open taterchips sitting next to me on my bar, and I'm about to lose my religion over it.  The children love to play this little torture game with me....

9.  I still haven't done our taxes.  I probably should get on that, huh?

10.  American Idol is making me swoon.  So much good talent in one tiny space.  My favorites are cutie-pie screecher James, quirky white-teeth Paul, Southern Belle sweetie Lauren, and ornery-as-all-get-out Casey.  Actually at this point, I'm just rootin' for the ones that I want to get kicked off, because after they're gone, it'll all be cake for me.  Love this season...

Alrighty.....time to do laundry cozy up with my book in the sunshine....

If you need me, I'm the one with the stupid sun-drunk grin on my face.

9 comments:

Becca~CapturingSimpleJoys said...

give your boy and "happy birthday" from me. my daughter turns the big 10 this year and i just don't know how that happened!
i went to the dentist yesterday too :)
LOVE your cake~talented lady!

Bridget said...

Happy birthday to Sawyer! That cake looks good, and you did great decorating it. I wouldn't ever be able to do that...

Mich said...

The cake is cute and totally Saw!

Miss you guys!

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Happy Birthday, Sawyer! His cake is awesome, Amber!

Enjoy your "spring break". You know you want to call it that. ;)

Kerri870 said...

We are in the same boat here, Amber! I had planned on doing school this week, but we've had neighbors at the door everyday. And kids outside laughing and playing. I just don't have the heart to make my kiddos do school!!!

But we will pay later.....we are behind!!!

Have a nice rest of the week!!!

Kimberly said...

Happy Birthday! You did a great job on the cake!! And his outfit? Too cute!

I'm LOVING American Idol too! James is one of my favorites as well! Although some of his outfits bring back some bad 80's memories!

Jessica said...

Sweet cake! Justus and I are already planning his birthday party (you know, on Halloween) so I can use my summer brain to work on it and he has chosen "The Very Hungry Caterpillar." Lovely. I would conjur up my inner Eric Carle, but I don't think I have one! I *almost* gave up my own cake vow, until I found a sweet cupcake cake honoring our creepy crawly friend. Vow saved.

Gretchen said...

If it makes you feel any better, we are not on spring break either. And we won't be until mid-April. If. we. can. make. it.

I am LOVIN Idol this season. I love Casey, James, Lauren, Paul, and I've even grown to love Pia. Me thought she was a little snooty, but now I just see elegance and talent. We've been rootin' for Scotty cuz he's local, but I'm not a big fan. :)

Good job on the cake! Impressy!

Angie said...

I think I'm worse than the girls for wanting school to be out!
We're taking a break next week - mom and dad are coming down!!
*loved the cake!
*dentist? Ugh!!
*great job with the lent-I raise my carrot stick to you!
*Enjoy the book! Just don't fall asleep in the sun. I made that mistake with my sunglasses on and now i look like some crazy reverse raccoon.